Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A wintertime project...

Wool is piling up, so after a lot of consideration, we now have a carder! I have not used a carder before, so I don't have anything to compare this to, but I love this carder :) It's a Strauch 405. It is much bigger than I thought from the pictures, and makes an 8x22 batt. I was going to leave it in the box for a little while - (with the anticipation that a baby will be here any day now, didn't want to get a mess going in the house) but as you can see, it's out of the box. And yes, there's wool everywhere. (we've been told by the doctor/mid-wife that the baby is very contented where he's at, regardless of the date they set for him -so ... we're just going to let him take his time and get here when he's ready!) Meanwhile, I'll card some wool.
This is from our ram Cody. He produced 6 pounds of wool from his fall shearing, so it's a great place to start.

I think his wool will make nice felting batts - and I am excited to try some wet felting projects with his wool. Maybe some hats? But it will be a while before that happens -for now, there's plenty of wool to be carded up!

7 comments:

  1. That looks GREAT!!! I can't wait to see what you make!
    I haven't forgotten about sending you fiber....I've just been really busy. I have several RAW fleeces here (brown & black) - do you want those??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Carder! I have a Strauch Petite which is a bit smaller and I love it. That is lovely wool too.

    December 5th is a nice day to be born on...

    Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Strauch 205 and I love it! Happy Carding!

    Mary Lou in Central NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will love your new carder. That's what I have, and it cards Icelandic very nicely, as well as anything else I've run through it. It's so much fun, just wish I had more time to play! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a new toy to provide a little distraction when you need it! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wool is luscious! I want a black sheep. Or blackish anyway. They are so striking.

    Hope you're counting fingers and toes soon. My daughter was about three weeks overdue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in my prayers for a safe and speedy delivery! A new baby! What a joyous way to end the year and bring in the New Year. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete